Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vintage Vogue Knitting pattern Spring 1984

Hi,

So I've been playing around with another "vintage" pattern from mid-80s from Vogue Knitting magazine.  It still bugs me that the 80s are considered vintage but now that my daughter has turned 30 I guess I should face facts!!  :-)

Here is a summer pullover from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 1984.  I've always loved the design of this pattern, and if you look closely at this very fuzzy photo, that's Paulina Porizkova, (probably one of her first modeling jobs).


The design is by veteran, Deborah Newton, who has a new design in the VK Fall issue that just arrived in my mailbox.  She is a genius!!!  The description for the sweater above reports "Stripes and an openwork cable plot out this yare boatneck pullover. Designed by Deborah Newton in Ulltex cotton."  Ulltex is described as a lightweight cotton getting a 22 sts and 34 rows to 4" gauge in stockinette stitch.  Does anyone know what yare means?  Well, Miriam Webster says it is an archaic way to say "set for action."  Sounds like something a pirate would say!!  :-)

So I was at the Knitting Etc. summer sale and they had a pile of Berroco Linsey in solid colors for an amazing $3.50 a skein, so I had to sweep up as much as I could get.  Here are shots from my Ravelry stash page:


This yarn definitely knits up to the gauge suggested in this pattern.  I think though, that I want to update the pattern to a looser fit.  I don't like the tight cabled ribbing at the bottom, so I'm thinking about making a cable i-cord border at the bottom and sleeve edges.  Also, I think I want to loose the stripe, and just do the solid blue with the beige lace inset.  I've been practicing the lace inset and love the way it looks in this yarn:





The cable has an eyelet inset which is pretty and the main lace center is so interesting to knit.  I love the way this is looking.

Other modifications I am thinking about:  picking up stitches on the side of the inset and knitting sideways into a dolman sleeve, much like Norah Gaughan's design in Monhegan from her Vol. 8 summer issue. 

I am also still working on my Dutch Tunic from VK Holiday 1987, but it's still summer, and you know how I keep changing my mind!  :-)


Back to the new Fall issue of Vogue Knitting ... the 360 video is up and OMG the designs are so amazing.  Especially Deborah Newton's tunic, which the picture in the magazine doesn't do justice.  Check it out for yourself and prepare to be wowed!!!

Happy Knitting!!  Sue

No comments: