Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Great RSI article in Vogue Knitting Winter 03/04

I'm continuing with my continental knitting experiment to relieve pressure on my left arm. One hour of continental knitting in the morning and two hours of knitting at night maybe once or twice a week while watching TV. Thank goodness I have other activities at night to keep me away from knitting (band practice and my "spiritual" meetings!) Also going out to dinner with Steve (I'll always pass up knitting for that!)

I continued my reading of old VKs and found a great (and long!) article on Repetitive Syndrome injuries in the Winter 2003/2004. It goes into great detail about many remedies (including switching to continental knitting or vice versa), physical therapy, yoga and abstinence. The big message of this article is that if you don't do something about your injury and continue the repetitive motion, you can permanently damage your arm/wrist. That's a sobering thought. I'll try to include some more tidbits from the article as I don't have it with me right now.

I can feel my arm getting better because I'm sleeping better. My elbow was hurting a lot earlier in the week but today I'm feeling ok.

No comments: